Saturday, August 14, 2010

Knockout at Coolidge Corner Clubhouse - Max Schmeling Style

So the big plan last night was head into Boston for a big night on the town with Alex Levine and Noah Wienert.  Unfortunatley we were all KO'd before the night even got started thanks to the Coolidge Corner Clubhouse and thier enourmously delicious portions of food. 

First of all props to Noah for the recommendation to go here; being a true Boston guy we put our faith in you for a good meal and you delivered.  Anyway, I really liked this place, it had a cool sports bar vibe, crossed with a pub like feel that gave it a really fun atmosphere.  Even the menu, was totally sports related and it was a nice change to see that not everything was baseball related.  Speaking of the Menu, it was one of those Holy Bibles of Menu's that never seems like its going to end.  The selection at this place is insane, but I quickly settled on "The Max Schmeling."  Hot Corned Beef, Sauerkraut and Swiss! Get realism, I could not pass it up. 

Before we got to that though we ordered a half plate of Nacho's to split.  This was a true Nacho plate, with everything on it; Gauc, Salsa, Cheese, Sour Cream, Beans, Jalepenos.  What I really liked about it though was they melted cheese throughout the whole platter so you weren't stuck with just the top layer being cheesey. 

Shortly after our meals arrived, and no kidding this sandwhich was a knockout.  I ordered some sweet potato fries and a pickle on the side as well, both of which were really amazing.  The sweet potato fries might have been the best I ever had.  The Max Schmeling sandwhich was definatley the champion of the plate though.  A huge portion, of corned beef, just the right amount of kraut, and melted swiss.  The meat was cooked perfectly, it wasn't chewy or tough and even though I was completely full after just one half I had to finish the whole thing because it was so damn good. To top it off I had a Newcastle Brown Ale, which I have to admit seemed a little flat compared to most New Castles I've had, but it the rest of the meal was so good I'll forgive the CCC for that one.

The three of us split the bill, and it came out to around $34 bucks each w/ tip.  Considering the amount of food, the atmosphere, and the quality I would glady pay it again.  Unfortunatley after such a ginourmous meal, a serious food coma hit all of us and we were only able to drag ourselves to one dive bar (Connor Larkins) for 1 more beer each before we had to call it a night.  Was it worth it? I'd say - who needs to have a whole night on the town when you can just go to the Coolidge Corner Clubhouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment